The KLOGS Away Tour to Thailand went off very smoothly for all from 13-18th May 2019, thanks to thorough planning by El Pres, Iain Wise. We played three good courses, Laem Chabang International Country Club (Day 1), Khao Kheow Country Club (Days 2 & 3) and Treasure Hill Golf Club (Day 4). The weather was overcast & cool the first three days with brief heavy rain on day 3 during the round; day 4 was sunny and hot throughout.
The KL contingent was joined by participants from UK, Australia and Thailand; we had 18 players including 1 visitor (Peter Hayes).
1st Day – Monthly KLOGS Medal – Laem Chabang International Country Club (B&C)
The scenery was beautiful and the course in very good condition; the second nine was particularly challenging.
Only two players beat their handicaps, with Bernie Schobert emerging as the May medal winner with 83 for 44 points (cut 8), ahead of Ricardo Castro with 84 for 40 (cut 2) then Allan Wright third with 101 for 35 (cut 1). Wayne kindly volunteered to drink the winner’s mug on behalf of Bernie.
Full results below
- NTP winner #5 : Stan (2.1m)
- NTP winner #8 : Peter Hayes (3.3m)
- NTP winner #14 : David Hewitt (2.8m)
- NTP winner #17 : Iain Wise (10.2m)
- Lowest gross : Ron (96)
There were 5 nominations for this initial award :
- Roger – for leaving the tour shirts & balls in his room
- Colm – for hitting into the group in front
- Rick – for his activities the previous night
- Stan – for swearing on every shot
- El Pres – for leaving his bank card in the ATM, for ‘Thailand” on tour shirt & for taking the long tour on the local taxi and paying 3x the correct rate (or more specifically, getting your scribe to pay)
The winner inevitably was Iain Wise, with the newly-appointed President of Vice, Wayne, deputizing for him in the mug ceremony.
2nd Day – 1st Day of Competition – Khao Kheow Country Club (A & C)
Another very scenic golf course. On the first day, we played off the white tees; on the second, the gold tees. A few of the holes took on a whole new perspective off the gold tees, being up to 100m longer.
Results of the full two-day competition are shown below
Setting the golf course on fire this first day with a score of 93 for 43 points was El Pres (Iain Wise); second was Ricardo Castro with 80 for 42, then Colm O’Donnovan & Frank Mackenzie with 91 & 97 respectively for 39 points. Iain got to chose a new pair of shorts as his prize.
Novelty winners were :
- NTP winner 1st Nine : Stan (0.84m)
- NTP winner 2nd Nine : Wayne (2.5m)
There were 4 nominations for this:
- Peter Kenyon – for his ‘medical emergency’ the previous night
- Wayne – for his score card completion difficulties
- Iain – for disrupting the bus entertainment negotiations
- Brian – for nearly running Stan over in the buggy
Wayne was the narrow winner.
3rd Day – 2nd Day of Competition – Khao Kheow Country Club (A & C)
A challenging day on the golf course !
Given the change from white to gold tees, as expected, scoring was generally lower on this second day (by an average of ~3 shots). Stan was one of the few leaders to improve on the 2nd day (by 4 shots), winning day 2 with 88 for 41 giving 180 for 78 overall and moving himself up to a tie for 1st with Iain (194 for 78). Stan was the winner on count back. Third was Ricardo Castro (167 for 77)
- NTP winner 1st Nine : Dave E (2.78m)
- NTP winner 2nd Nine : Rick (~6m)
The winners of the Horse & Jockey competition were Stan with Wayne for 1st and Rick with Stan for 15th.
There were 5 nominations for this:
- Ted – for regularly going to the wrong buggy despite the fact his was the only white one of the four
- Wayne – who thought he had another hole to play despite shaking hands etc on the 18th
- Frank – for his wit on the first tee and for trying to nobble El Pres, tho El Pres was his horse in the horse & jockey
- Iain – for nominating Frank as Fines Master & for choosing the gold tees
- Brian – for standing naked in the hotel corridor at 3am in the morning.
Brian was the winner ! (Luckily no photos of the winning entry !)
Later that evening, most of the group had a very pleasant dinner with beer at a local seafood restaurant.
4th Day – Team Scramble – Treasure Hill Golf Club
Three 4-player teams & two 3 -player teams cunningly selected by El Pres teed-off with all teams playing off scratch.
It seemed this course slightly favoured the 3-player teams, with the team of Ted, Ron & Allan narrowly beating Peter, Colm & El Pres on countback, both with 75 (+3).
Third were the Pervo’s (Stan, Wayne, Brian & Rikki) with 77 (+5), fourth, the team of Bernie, Dave E, David H, & Peter K with 79 (+7) then fifth, Ricardo, Roger, Frank & Rick with 82 (+10).
There were 5 nominations for this:
- Allan – (self nomination ) for poor play but still winning
- Flight 4 – for hitting up on flight 3
- Stan – for being angry man & for his photography
- Peter K – for moaning about having been on numerous tours and never winning
- El Pres – for choosing the best course for the last day
And the winner was Stan !
Given the earlier pattern, there was no surprise with the result
Stan – you are the 2019 May COTT !
The various prize winners received sleeves of balls courtesy of Renaissance Hotels (thanks to Robert Frager).
Fines & Honesty Jugs
There were numerous jugs over the 3 days, and the new Fines Master (Frank) was in fine form, penalising everybody for various misdemeanors. As a result, there was no reason to call upon extra for the Whip.
Our sponsors are a main reason that we can play at good golf courses and award members with trophies, attractive prizes as well as “KLOGS” signature golf balls. In order to show our appreciation we encourage members to support our sponsors.
Photos : courtesy of your Scribe, Iain, Ricardo, Stan (!) & Simon.